Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Felipe Tristan on the Development of his Artistic Project

Creating an artistic project is not an easy task. For various reasons it has been a challenging process but yet an exciting one, and I am sure it will be very rewarding in the end. First, one of the issues to deal with was to define a clear concept that would be engaging enough and that would feature me as a performer and/or producer at my very best while keeping creativity and quality at high standards. Second was brainstorming and putting as many ideas out as possible without discriminating anything in order to later envision a concept.
A few months ago, I kept thinking of three or even four different ideas, and in fact, I would not get rid of of any of them. Later, it came the day of narrowing it all down to one proposal. To my surprise, none of the previous ideas passed my own filters after careful analysis and consideration of several factors. Consequently, I decided to submit only two proposals, which in the end turned out to be merged into one project, which I have been approved to present. The project is called Viva la Flute! and, as presented in the formal proposal, the project is “a Celebration of Flute Music from the Americas.” 

What I find very stimulating about the process of “defining” the concept of a project is the discovery of the self that comes with it. Fortunately, we count on the help and opportune advice of our mentors. Katie, my mentor, who is an extremely active and creative musician, teaching artist and writer, has supported me and contributed a great deal of information and ideas for the creation of the concept of Viva la Flute!. Based on her knowledge and experience, she has made this process a life lesson for me. One of the things I most remember from our first discussions about my project is that I needed to choose what was best for me and what I do that could be showcased. “It is great to have a lot of things to say, but make sure you say only the very best,” she opportunely asserted. Not only that, it is also important to keep the content clear and concise, one that supports the “thesis” or, in this case, theme of the project. Less is more.

The whole process of filtering with pros and cons of each idea came with ease. As I eliminated elements or things that I did not necessarily want to portray in the project, the vision of the final product was becoming stronger with every revision. It was great to discover that my project would become a celebration project. Furthermore, I feel that going through the development of creating a project is a good exercise for the “creativity muscles” that are much needed in other assignments during our fellowship.

As far as logistics for Viva la Flute!, I believe I could write an extensive chronicle with notes of events, challenges, problems/solutions, and a large amount of anecdotes that one faces during the gestation, development and, I assume, execution of a project of this nature. For now, I could say that a key aspect is to remain creative in dealing with issues that arise from all aspects of the show. The most “obvious” or logical answer is not always the best answer. Finally, orchestrating such an event is fun but also exhausting. Nevertheless, we have been instructed and trained to create this and much more. I am up for the challenge and eager to inspire friends, colleagues, and everyone to come and celebrate at Viva la Flute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment